Here is a form so that our Military Families can share information and a Picture so that we can proudly display members of the NHMS family who serve or have served.
• NHMS Main Office: 662-244-4740
• Contact the NHMS school registrar, Andrea Adams, at 662-244-4740 or email her [email protected] to schedule a school tour.
• The Military & Family Life counselor can also provide school tours. They can be contacted at 662-244-4740.
• Items needed for enrollment are:
o Birth Certificate
o Updated MS 121 Compliance Form (shot record). This can be obtained through the clinic at CAFB.
o 2 proofs of residency
o Withdrawal form from previous school and the most current report card.
- Columbus Air Force Base Website: The Columbus Air Force Base serves as the training ground for many of our military families. Our school works alongside the base to help make transitions go more smoothly for all members of our military families.
- Columbus Air Force Base School Liaison: NHMS works alongside our Air Force Base Liaison to connect with our military families and meet the needs of their students.
Academic Planning for Military Families
• Students at NHMS have the opportunity for the following:
o Honors Math and ELA Courses (7th/8th grade only)
o SPED services for students with a valid IEP
o Accommodations for students with a valid 504 plan
o A variety of electives (2 for 6th grade and 1 for 7th/8th grade):
▪ Gifted Studies
• For questions about academic planning, please contact Lea Oglesby, school counselor at 662-244-4740 or [email protected]
• CAFB School Liaison Webpage https://www.columbusafbliving.com/school-liaison-office/
• Military & Family Life Counseling Webpage www.militaryonesource.mil
Information on the school’s student-led transition program
Every new military student will receive Schoology contact information of a grade level student who will provide transition support to the new student to become familiarized with the new campus, traditions, programs, and upcoming events. Academic Counselors will notify the assigned student of incoming new military students to assist with transition and support within our school.
Information on exceptional student education services
Students at NHMS have the opportunity to be in the following:
• Jr. BETA Club
• Student Council
• School Newspaper
• Honors Math and ELA Courses (7th/8th grade only)
• Gifted Studies
Information on upcoming military recognition events
• Veteran’s Day – Students will attend an assembly honoring local veterans. A reception will follow the program.
• April – April is the month of the Military Child! NHMS students wear purple and participate in events to celebrate the sacrifices of our military children. Military children will have the opportunity to eat lunch with their parents.
• Career Day – Every year we have various fields, including the military, represented at our NHMS career day.
Information on the mental health challenges facing military students
• NHMS’ Military and Family Life Counselor (MFLC) can be reached at 662-244-4740. Counselors provide confidential non-medical counseling services to children and youth up to age 18 in groups and individually. They also offer support to families, staff, and support personnel. Working with a counselor can help improve behavior, performance in school, and relationships.
• Military service providers and leaders can request MFLC support at https://supportrequest.militaryonesource.mil
• Contact NHMS’ academic school counselor, Lea Oglesby at 662-244-4740 or [email protected]
Contact information for statewide military school liaison:
School Liaison Contacts
Amber Meiborg, Columbus AFB
Larry Mullins, NAS Meridian